Monday, May 2, 2011

HW 49- Comments on your Best Break Homework


megumi said...


I found your post very interesting and got me thinking. I did not think the first thing your interviewees thought of when hearing the word 'death' was those that are close to them. I found this particularly interesting because I remember one of my close relatives had told me before that she worries more about my my life than her death-which was a shock to me at the moment but after reading your post I think it makes more sense.
Raven said...
It's interesting that you mentioned when you interviewed both your mother and father that after hearing death they thought of after death and what may have happened to relatives that died. Through the assignments over break I also thought about after death and many of the people I interviewed including myself believe that if people had some place to look forward to after life they would not be so afraid of death. I do believe that people have different opinions about death based on their beliefs. I enjoyed reading this post.
 
Jim Harker said...
I was most intrigued by the observation you made about the initial thoughts of the people you interviewed. I had not noticed that the first thing that comes to mind when death is mentioned in a conversation is family and friends. In a way, it is actually a reassuring observation. If people tend to think of their loved ones who have passed when they are talking about death, then it is likely that most of us will still be remembered even after we die. I also think it is good that you are acknowledging the fact that your opinion may be influenced by your family; it will help you to make your own decision. Good work.
TIM said...
I was surprised to see that your family did not really think about the afterlife all that much when death was brought up. You did a good job of asking specific questions in the interviews you took. I found it extremely interesting that the reason your father wants to be cremated is because he wants his ashes to be kept by his family, even though he knows that it is less environmentally friendly. When I think of death, I almost automatically start thinking about heaven and hell, so it was nice to read about a different perspective. Nice job!
 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ben H said...
The broad variety of opinions that are in this post is what made this especially interesting for me. It seems like some of the people you interviewed made their decisions in large part based on their religion, where others did not. One of the quotes that inspired the most thought for me was, "Dying freaks me out more than dead bodies because while death can happen at any unpredictable time, I know eventually I'm going to end up dead." This seems to be the reason that I (and probably many others as well) do not think about care of the dead as much; the concept of death pretty much overshadows everything that comes after it, as far as human life is concerned. This is kind of unfortunate, because the way that cadavers are dealt with can be beneficial for many people. Your post did a great job getting me thinking, good job.
 
 
Ben H said...
I really enjoyed reading this post, particularly because you were able to find three relatively different opinions, and your post also introduced a factor of caring for the dead that I had never really thought about before, which is cost. Now that I think about it, the casket's in which most people are buried are probably pretty expensive, which just adds to my list of reasons why I am thinking of choosing cremation over burial as well. Overall, this post did a good job of getting me thinking. One question- Have you ever confronted someone who has experienced or thought about other ways of caring for the dead besides cremation and burial?

No comments:

Post a Comment