Monday, May 23, 2011

HW 57- Initial thoughts on Prom

I am a little embarrassed to admit it, but I really don't know anything about prom at all. I have a few friends that have gone to their proms, but the stories from my friends usually end up being about the party that takes place afterwards (typical). However, the story my mom tells me about her prom is very different from the typical image that many teens I have spoken to today have displayed, which is probably in part because she is my mother. She broke up with her boyfriend right before prom, so she ended up taking her best friend. This was interesting to me because it completely contradicts the ideas/fantasies that involve sexual activity after prom which are often associated with the word "prom" itself.

I am not really sure about what happens at prom, other than that the boys are always wearing nice suits while the girls always try extremely hard to look their absolute best. People take lots of pictures, and maybe there is some slow dancing involved, but otherwise it seems like everyone is just standing around looking pretty. However, I am also aware that many people consider the occasion to be somewhat of a "rite of passage" and that it is when you "graduate your childhood" in a sense. I really don't know enough about the event to form an opinion on whether or not I think it is as important as many people describe it as, and I am hoping these five days will be enough to help me formulate an accurate one.

As of now, I am certainly planning on attending prom. I was thinking about taking one of my best friends like my mom did to give the event more of a casual feel, while still looking as "pretty" as possible. Otherwise, I might end up bringing someone from outside of school, and I would like to learn more about how that would work both as far as social status and pricing are concerned.

Some Questions-
Why do so many feel the need to dress extremely nicely for prom? Or is it actually required?
Where does all the money go that the students spend to pay for their prom?
What is the general procedure of how a prom works?
How involved is the school staff with the actual prom itself?

No comments:

Post a Comment