Tuesday, May 17, 2011

HW 56- Comments

Ben H said...
I really liked that this post provided detailed information on both the ways of caring for the dead that are thought of as most common. Your grandmother's perspective on cremation was particularly interesting to me because I sort of have similar ideas, and I believe that my grandmother felt the same way (she was cremated as well). "I believe our soul/consciousness survives beyond death and does not require a body for any kind of supposed resurrection." This quote does an excellent job of capturing the basic argument supporting cremation. Finally, I enjoyed the way you provided the historical traditions that were the reason for your other grandmother's decision to have an open casket burial. The argument seems to be for more practicality/freeing the soul from the body vs. preservation of the body & soul together. Nice job!
 
Ben H said...
One of the things I really enjoyed about your video is that it touched on the idea that funerals often seem awkward to many people, but otherwise they are almost always a time where families unite in mourning. I have experienced this same feeling of unity at a funeral, which is probably why I found the idea so interesting. I also liked how our societies obvious paranoia when it comes to preserving the body was exposed by your video, and your post did a very good job of touching on almost all of the ways of caring for the dead that I am aware of. Nice work!
Ben H said...
I think you did a very good job compiling your research. Not only was it a good idea to start by looking back to the previous illness and dying unit (sort of) by viewing the health care report, the fact that you actually took the time to send that e-mail was very impressive to me. One of my favorite lines was, "It’s a bit reassuring though, that there are ways to get around the restrictions of home funerals in the state." I liked this because you acknowledge that although it is not usually a good thing to dodge the law, certain restrictions neither promote the funeral or burial experience. Nice job!
 

Ben H said...
Great video! One of the things I thought was especially interesting was when Leslie said that when she was growing up, young children would often not be invited to funerals because it was a very "sad and sacred" occasion. I also loved the way Jim was so specific in his description of the first funeral home he was speaking about. I also think you did a very good job summarizing the contents of the video in you 2 written paragraphs. Nice work! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
megumi said...
While reading Stiff, one of the topics that bothered me the most was donating our bodies to science. This post was really interesting and well-written. I was surprised to see that even recently, there are problems as the one you mentioned with the crematorium, "The article also states that over 16,000 lawsuits have been filed over the past 19 years arguing that the body parts of people's loved ones were being dismembered from the body and sold without the consent of the family." This is really disturbing, and made me less likely to donate to science. It may have benefits, but I don't like the risks since there are certain things I definitly don't want my body to go through after death (such as beautifications/plastic surgery)
Jim Harker said...
This post was truly startling to me. As someone who's mother has recently been cremated and had her ashes given to our family, I am now very concerned. The thing about this post that really stood out to me was the evidence you were able to gather. For example, "Instead, they were told that an unscrupulous crematorium owner secretly carved up her body — along with the bodies of hundreds of other newly deceased — and provided knees, elbows, heads and other parts to medical research organizations in exchange for hundreds of thousands of dollars." This quote is a perfect example of your whole argument. In addition to your online sources, you also did a very good job analyzing 'Stiff', and it is certainly a book that I am interested in reading now. Very intriguing and enlightening post!
Raven said...
I really think this paper is interesting. I think it's good that you focused on cadavers and the benefits and disadvantages of donating your organs to science. I liked the line: "Although some people may think that this is a very important procedure, the reality is that most people probably did not imagine their bodies being used for the beautification of others rather than helping the living with actual medical issues or conditions." Do you think that in the end it really matters what happens to the human body after death? (I mean yes it's important to respect the dead but what if someone needs organs the dead person has?)
TIM said...
This might be one of my favorite posts yet! This may be because I have always been interested by the topic of death, but the statistics you brought up were really scary to even think about. For one, I never realized dead bodies had the potential to be so useful for the living, but more importantly I can't believe people would be so disrespectful as to actually dig up a dead body! You also had many interesting quotes, such as "You can see the pulse of her heartbeat in her liver, and all the way down her aorta. She bleeds where she is cut and her organs are plump and slippery-looking." This one really made me want to learn more about the whole issue. Good job!

No comments:

Post a Comment