Tuesday, May 24, 2011

HW 58- Prom Interviews

Although I briefly touched on this subject in my last post, I decided to speak to my mom a second time to see if I could squeeze any more details out of her regarding her prom experience. When asked about what happened after the prom itself, she said, "Well, it probably isn't the typical experience that you might be imagining. Me and some of my friends and their dates all went back to my house actually, stayed up all night, you know, being teenagers, and then my parents made breakfast for everyone in the morning." This answer was extremely surprising to me, but I decided to leave that particularly subject at that. My mother also told me that she spent two days searching online for the perfect dress, but that when she found out that she would be taking her best friend, it didn't really matter to her as much.

The next person I spoke to about prom was one of my good friends who is a senior. He told me that he was glad he was able to avoid the drama of trying to find someone to take because he has been with his girlfriend, who goes to the same school, for almost a year now. "I still haven't gone out and got what I'm going to where to prom...to be honest it doesn't really matter that much to me, and I'm pretty sure [girlfriend's name] feels the same way cause she told me she wanted me to come with her this week to get her dress this week." (by the way, my friend's prom is this Friday) Finally, I asked him what he was planning on doing after the prom. "Well, there is an after party, but me and [girlfriend's name] probably won't stay at that very long. I'm thinking we'll just come back to my house and have sex, as quietly as possible of course haha." Well, it looks like I have managed to find myself the perfect stereotypical boy's plan for prom.

Finally, I decided to speak to my friend who is now a freshman in college about his prom. "I really didn't stress prom at all, from start to finish. I took a girl who I was pretty good friends with in high school, but really only for the pictures. I didn't expect to be doing much with her later." I then asked him about what his experience was like at the prom itself, and he told me it was pretty much boring. "It was awkward meeting my date's parents, but other than that the whole thing was pretty dull." I just posed for a few pictures, and chilled with [name of date]. I definitely was not dancing, haha." Finally, I asked him about what happened after the prom. "Yeah, that's where the night got a little more exciting. I pretty much left the girl I took to prom and hooked up with a bunch of girl's at the after party. I was drunk, but other than the liquor that was there I don't remember there being any other drugs there." Okay, I was wrong when I said my senior friend's planned experience was stereotypical, this kid's was practically the definition.

The one thing I found in common with all three people I interviewed was that prom really was not that big of a deal for them. This is admirable, in my opinion. Teenagers have enough stress in their lives, and the fact that all these people were/are able to avoid the stress of prom is truly impressive. I will certainly try to take all these people's experiences into account when I plan for my own prom, and I definitely plan on talking to some more people who have already experienced the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment